Unusual use of "Tarheel" (1848, 1852)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Sep 21 22:45:35 UTC 2013

I'm interested in the 1852 associations of the surnames with
political personages.

Andrew Jackson Croutcutter?  There may have been a utensil called by
someone a "crout cutter", but Darn.  It's no longer available and
cannot be viewed.  For "krautcutter", several Ghits, including a
Wanted ad -- "I need either new or used (antique ok) krautcutter for
preparing sauerkraut."  Apparently one device was patented in 1891.

A cabbage-slicer?  Why would that be associated with Old Hickory?

("Croutcutter" is alleged to have appeared in the Nashville Daily
Union, March 24, 1866, p. 1 --
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83025718/1866-03-24/ed-1/seq-1/.)

Henry Clay Snakefeeder?  As far as I can tell, he was not a patron of
Copperheads.  (He had died a few months earlier than the article.)

Fred Douglass Tarheel?  He certainly was not a poor white, and for
the later connotation I read that he was born in Maryland.

John Quitman Screwdriver?  I learn that he was governor of
Mississippi 1850--1851 and a Fire-Eater ("an unorganized group of
extremist pro-slavery Southern politicians").  1835 -- "One who
drives a 'screwy' horse."?

In curiosity,
Joel