Kraut-cutters (1892)

Sun Sep 22 06:33:45 UTC 2013

On Sep 21, 2013, at 7:18 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:

> At 9/21/2013 07:29 PM, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
>> Having laid down my first attempt at sauerkraut just a couple of
>> hours ago, your comment on the krautcutter caught my attention.
>> http://bit.ly/16xReKs is the Official Gazette of 1892 with a "kraut-cutter."
>
> I like it --  the "cabbage is ... centrally presented to said
> cutter-head".  It's a good thing that the cabbage isn't presented to
> Alice -- or she wouldn't be permitted to eat the
> sauerkraut.  Cabbages and queens, oh my.
>
> Does "crout/kraut-cutter" belong in the OED?

I'm tempted to say that a krautcutter is a mandolin with a box on top. But see http://howdyblogs.blogspot.com/2009/11/making-sauerkraut.html, where they just use "mandolin," and http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Primitive-Wood-Cabbage-Sauerkraut-Cutter-Slicer-Board-/111159582851 which is a "sauerkraut cutter" without the box.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/videos