"hunky" and "dory"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Sep 28 14:09:37 UTC 2013

All I can say is that the OED2 puts "hunky-dory" as a "Derivative"
under "hunky, adj.1" with the explanation "[second element of unknown
origin] satisfactory, fine."  But perhaps the OED3 will know more.

The other "hunky," "adj.2", is the one we late moderns probably
expect -- "Thick-set, solidly built" [1911-], with a "Draft additions
1993" of "In modern use, spec. (of a man) sexually attractive,
ruggedly handsome. colloq. (orig. U.S.)" [1978-].

Joel