"Yay long"

Sun Sep 29 05:09:48 UTC 2013

Here is a second article by William Morris. OCR errors are present.

Date: August 7, 1964
Newspaper: Omaha World Herald
Column Name: Word, Wit and Wisdom
Article Title: 'Yea Tall' Not New at All to Scotch-Welsh Descendant
Author: William Morris
Page 12
Newspaper Location: Omaha, Nebraska

[Begin excerpt]
Here is still another theory of the origin of the expression "yay" or
"yea" in such phrases as "yay big" and "yea tall." When writing about
it a few weeks ago I noted that I had heard it first only about 10
years ago and then in the jargon of two dissimilar groups—scientists
and teenagers.

Now Anna T. Spohn of Pittsburgh writes: "Recently you restored to me a
term I'd forgotten which originally came more than a half-century ago
from my Scotch-Welsh grandfather! It is "yea-long" as a measurement of
an indefinite amount, as compared to a yard. But you said it was from
current slanguage. Well, we used it for many years but after Granddad
moved on, it disappeared from the family speech. I'm so glad to have
it back, even if the kids do think it's modern today."
[End excerpt]

Spohn says nothing about the use of hands