"White trash" (1821) and "United States" (1719, 1695)

Bonnie Taylor-Blake b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 2 01:33:43 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> Indeed a fascinating text.  Perhaps worth (your) publishing as a note
> somewhere?
>
> What publication (periodical?) do you think the "Chronicle"
> is?  Perhaps unanswerable; it's not much of an identification.
>
> Do you think "LIBERTY AND EQUALITY" was a pseudonym, and of whom?  It
> was apparently a common catch-phrase in the 1790s through the early
> 1800s (with some appearances earlier, although the 1700 and 1706 are
> false; GBooks).

Oops, sorry for the delay, Joel.  I wish I had answers for you, but
sadly I don't.

If you'd like to see the entire article (since you seem to find it as
interesting as I do), contact me off-list and I'll send you the whole
thing.  (There was an earlier paragraph, equally fascinating, that I
lopped off since it didn't include "white trash.")

-- Bonnie