The not-yet-Old "North State" (pre-nickname for North Carolina), 1796; the old "Rip van Winkle State", [1835], 1844 (antedates OED3, 1857--)

Bonnie Taylor-Blake b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 5 20:13:18 UTC 2014

Gosh, these finds are so great, Joel.  Thank you so very much.

Here's a (very) slightly earlier usage of "the Rip Van Winkle State":

-------------------------------

The nickname of the *Rip Van Winkle State* has lately been given to
North Carolina, on account of its slow progress in improvement, and
the alleged sluggishness and want of enterprise of its population.
[Alexandria (VA) Gazette, 6 March 1834, p. 2, col. 3; via
genealogybank.com.  (The Gazette credits the Baltimore Gazette for
this article.)]

-------------------------------

What this native Tar Heel finds interesting (and a little
embarrassing) about this business is that the words of the state's
song ("The Old North State") were penned at the same time (1835).  As
Nicholas Graham pointed out in 2006 [1]:

"Though the words to 'The Old North State' are appropriately
patriotic, one line often stands out to people hearing or reading it
for the first time: 'Tho' the scorner may sneer at, and witling defame
her, Yet our hearts swell with gladness, Whenever we name her.' Who
were these scorners and witlings? [William] Gaston was writing at a
time when North Carolina was one of the poorest states in the nation.
The state was rapidly losing population as people emigrated, often to
newly opened western territories, in search of more promising
opportunities for themselves and their families. It was not unlikely
then for local elites who were determined to stay in the state, such
as Gaston, to feel a little bit defensive."

-- Bonnie

[1] http://www2.lib.unc.edu/ncc/ref/nchistory/feb2006/index.html