"to ping" (and OED Online)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 8 17:03:28 UTC 2014

I can't swear to this, but I seem to recall one of her guests chiding
Crowley gently for  misusing "ping" so gratuitously.

Or maybe it was me.

But isn't "contact," once on the cutting edge of despised verbs, good
enough for today's middle-aged persons?

JL