Towards/toward (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 13 00:15:01 UTC 2014

On Apr 12, 2014, at 6:49 PM, Herb Stahlke wrote:

> I was taught in high school English that the -s form was an adverb and the
> bare form a preposition.  There is a -s suffix that produces adverbs, as in
> nowadays or besides, and it analogizes to anyways.

But "anyway" is an adverb even without the "s" (what else could it be?), and "nowaday" isn't anything without an "s" (, although I guess that might not be a problem for the hypothesis.  As for "toward"/"towards", is there a minimal pair in which the former is being used as a preposition and the latter as and adverb?  "We're heading toward perdition faster than we've ever headed towards"?

LH