Antedating of "Striptease"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 13 14:13:54 UTC 2014

On Apr 12, 2014, at 10:40 PM, Shapiro, Fred wrote:

> "Died" is in the original.

Right; I was assuming the typo (or eggcorn) was in the original; I can imagine similar reanalyses today (a sort of blend of "dyed in the wool" and "die-hard", if you prefer), but they're hard to search because of all the times the phrase is used in titular puns for mystery or crime novels involving knitting and/or sheep, including one by Ngaio Marsh.  (No doubt New Zealand is a prominent venue for many such mysteries.)  This one, though, doesn't seem to involve sheep but it is in the general spirit of the 1931 Billboard cite for "striptease":

"I am a died-in-the-wool old fuddy-duddy, and i don't get all the fuss over Miley Cyrus"

LH