Phrase: three sheets in the wind (1812) Modern version: three sheets to the wind

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Apr 16 20:09:01 UTC 2014

Do any of the following bear up for (be antecedents of) "three sheets"?

He's got his Top Gallant Sails out
He carries too much Sail
He's right before the Wind with all his Studding Sails out

1736 New England Weekly Journal, July 6.  (Six months before Ben
Franklin's "Drinkers Dictionary" in the Pennsylvania Gazette.)

Joel