Word: albatross, n. three under par on a hole in golf (probably 1924)

Wed Apr 16 21:47:35 UTC 2014

Benjamin Torbert mentioned the interesting golf term: albatross.

The OED has a recently updated entry for albatross with a July 2, 1932
cite for the golf sense.

[Begin OED excerpt]
albatross, n.
4. Golf. A score of three strokes under par on a hole; a hole played
in three strokes under par. Cf. eagle n. 1d.In North America, such a
shot is more usually known as a double eagle (see Additions).

1932   Boston Globe 2 July 11/5   1932 Boston Globe 2 July 11/5 James
Shepard, a Boston boy..startled himself as well as everybody else by
holing a long mashie shot for an albatross deuce at the long 16th.
[End OED excerpt]

HathiTrust has a golf book that the catalogers have been unable to
precisely date. The year is listed as "1924?". This book included an
instance of "albatross". Evidence that the 1924 date of publication
was accurate appeared in a 1924 Buffalo, New York newspaper; see
further below.

Year: 1924? (question mark to indicate uncertainty)
Book title: Lessons from Great Golfers