_Bumper_ "a cup or a glass filled to overflowing with hard drink"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 17 04:07:14 UTC 2014

This was briefly mentioned, back in '08. Having nothing better to do, I've
dated back a while:

"Nay drain the brisk Bumper, we'll not bate you an ace."

A Pacquet from Parnassus: Or, a Collection of Papers, ... ... - Page 1
1702
http://goo.gl/S6gDaw

The drink, in this case, is ale/beer with lemon juice. There's a word for
this concoction, but I'm blocking on it.

_Shandy_! That's it.

item #82885 (6 Jul 2008 17:34) - Barry, as forwarded by G,    supplies the
cite:    "... we though[t] of their delicate healths in a _bumper_ [of
their  gift of wine, I assume] ..."

When I was in high school, one of the Jesuits habitually referred to
 drinking beer as    "... having a few _bumpers_ of the amber goodness ..."
   This is the only other time that I've come across "bumper" used in
 connection with an alcoholic beverage.  FWIW, "swallows" also strikes me
as a word that might be used in  punning on the drinking of akka-haul.

--
-Wilson
-----