_Canvass_ > "examine, pore over, search"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 17 19:37:28 UTC 2014

OED does a very poor job on police "canvassing the neighborhood." In fact,
it's not there at all, unless you're happy with 7b, "To sue or solicit
(persons, a district) for votes, subscriptions, custom, orders, etc."

See, "etc." could include "information." Works for me. Not.

As for the defined sense, "To investigate or examine physically" (4b), it
is clearly marked "Obs.," with a single citation from 1652. Nada since.
Odds that Wilson's cited journalist learned this usage in an unbroken and
unrecorded line from the mid-17th century: zero.

Moreover, the new example is closer in meaning to "search (an area)
carefully and methodically" than it is to "investigate or examine
physically," which is what the Spanish explorer Francisco de Ulloa was
doing, no more and no less, in Peter Heylen's 1652  _Cosmographie_ as he
*explored* what is now called the Sea of Cortez:

"The business having slept a while, was in the year 1539 awakened by *Francisco
de Vlloa,* one that had accompanied *Cortez* the time before: who did not
only search to the bottom of the *Gulf,* but having thorowly canvassed all
the Eastern shores, he turned his course, and made as fortunate a Discovery
also of the VVestern coasts."

Heylen used "canvass" rather often, usually in the sense of "to discuss."

To "investigate or explore (physically)" is a plausible early meaning of
"to discuss," though the OED (which see) does not say so.

JL