A trivium from the Web: because kidding?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Apr 18 03:20:29 UTC 2014

Probably not mockery; that's our Word of the Year you're talking, because duh
(http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/because-wins-2013-word-of-the-year-vote-because-awesome/)

This very day two students in our Grammatical Diversity in  U.S. English class presented on "Because X", its history, distribution, syntactic constraints, etc. etc.  More complicated than it seems!
(One hypothesis is that its rise may have been influenced by "because YOLO", which was originally understood as 'because you only live once', then when the acronym "YOLO" became just plain "yolo", "because" was reanalyzed to be able to take other nouns, adjectives, etc. as complements.  A possibility, anyway. There are others out there.)

LH