to spew

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 20 20:36:41 UTC 2014

> Why isn't this subsumed under 2.c., "Freq. in fig. use with reference to
abusive or
objectionable language."

First of all, by today's standards the definition is not really a
definition. It's a description.

A dictionary definition should be semantically and grammatically
substitutable for the word in question (though sometimes the outcome might
be a little awkward).  Further information, not strictly part of the
substitutable, element, can appear win parentheses.

So a better definition covering the OED  2c exx. might be, "to utter
(abusive or objectionable language)."

Observe that 2c requires a direct object specifying just what is uttered,
not a "that"-clause.

The 2009 ex., however, is rather different.  First of all, Mansel is hardly
using abusive or objectionable language; he's simply voicing a negative
opinion that Croutier disagrees with. "Wrote" would have worked, but unless
Inglish is further advanced than even I imagine, "spew" is not a simple
synonym for "say, write, or utter." It implies abuse and often vehemence.
Mansel's words, however, are neither abusive nor vehement. They are
forcefully but politely expressed. I suggest "abusively" as an adverb of
manner in the proposed def. because I just have to assume that other
writers who construe "spew" with "that" are referring to far more vehement
occasions. "Critically or unfairly" complete the spectrum: anything weaker
than "unfairly" would probably undermine the whole negative charge of "to
spew."

Contrast too the syntax required by, e.g., "say" and "utter":

1. OK:  "Mansel said that this sort of literature aims...."

2. "Mansel uttered that this sort of literature aims...."

While Croutier suggests that Mansel's criticism of the "sensation-novel"
was unfair or unreasonable, there is no basis for calling his language
"abusive or objectionable."

And in her mind, presumably, she didn't. Hence def. "2d."

JL