What th'?: "This message may not have been sent by"

Wed Apr 23 16:57:45 UTC 2014

The Google Support website has an entry on this topic. Note that the
mailing list messages you receive are actually from the mailing list
server machine and not directly from the individuals named in the
"From" field.

Entry: "This message may not have been sent by..." warning

https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/2411000?hl=en

[Begin excerpt]
You'll see this warning if a sender is claiming to be from Gmail, but
we couldn't confirm the email originated from a Gmail sender. For
example, you might receive an email claiming to be from
support at gmail.com that wasn’t actually sent from a Gmail account. All
mail sent from Gmail should have authentication data in the message
that can verify it was sent through Gmail. If you see a warning
message indicating that a message may not have been sent by a Gmail
user, this means that the authentication data is missing and Gmail
displays the warning for your protection.

The missing data can indicate one of the following:

    The message was forged and not really sent by the sender’s stated
Gmail address

    The sender emailed it through a website (for example, a website
sharing a news article with you)

    The message was sent by Gmail, but the authentication information
was lost (for example, if you auto-forward all messages from your
school email address to your personal Gmail address)

If the email wasn't sent with Gmail, but the sender includes
authentication data in the message, we'll show you the sender's name
and the service that authenticated the message. For example, if
sender at gmail.com sent you a card from a website called ecard.com,
you'd see the sender listed as "sender at gmail.com via ecard.com.”

[End excerpt]

Garson