Latest on "negro"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 25 22:00:16 UTC 2014

You've studied logic, John. Why would you think it applies here?

There's been an increasing tendency for the past thirty-plus years to
interpret "Negro" as a  mealy-mouthed or dog-whistle equivalent of
"nigger," which is allegedly what white people who say "Negro" *really*
mean, and what black people who say it are buying into.

I won't get into why, because it makes little sense.

Also, to be precise, I think Costello - an unusually articulate,
professional user of current English - may have said "mind-boggling," not
"mind-blowing."

In either case, notable emphasis on "mind."

JL