Vivid slang: jackhole and stone

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 26 12:20:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> "Or maybe he's just a jackhole that you haven't had the stones to
> completely cut out of your life yet ..."
>
> Boston Globe, 2014 April 25, G39/4, in "Love Letters".
>
> I assume "jackhole", not now in the OED but perhaps coined in or
> earlier than 2003 (Urban Dictionary), will get there some time.

The production company Jackhole Industries has been around since 1999,
when "The Man Show" went on the air. Some info:

---
http://www.closinglogos.com/page/Jackhole+Industries

Jackhole Industries was created by Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Carolla to
produce The Man Show. The name came from a swear word Carolla made up
to say on the radio without the FCC objecting to it.

Logo: On a blue background we see the text

JACKHOLE
INDUSTRIES

along with a donkey wearing a sombrero. The donkey is burnt in the
rear with a branding iron, causing it to jump into the "O" in JACKHOLE
(which is big enough to fit around his neck). When he lands, he loudly
brays.

FX/SFX: All of the (rather choppy) animation.

Music/Sounds: A short horn tune, followed by the donkey's bray. On The
Man Show, part on the song "Mexican Hat Dance" plays, followed by the
donkey saying "Yokozuna".

Availability: Can be seen on Jimmy Kimmel Live on ABC and Crank
Yankers on MTV2. A version with no sound besides the donkey bray
appears on The Andy Milonakis Show on MTV2.
---

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer