"the Negro"

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Sun Apr 27 05:52:01 UTC 2014

What was revealing, I think, was the determiner, not the noun that followed it --the old-fashioned social-scientistic "the negro," like "the homosexual," which turned a marginalized group into a representative figure in a museum diorama.

Geoff