Latest on "negro"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Apr 27 16:26:16 UTC 2014

At 4/26/2014 11:54 PM, Spanbock/Svoboda-Spanbock wrote:
>I thought it was just that as we become accustomed to words, they
>become more objectifying? So, we change the approved terminology
>from time to time in an effort to keep the meaning clean?
>--
>Kate

I wonder if this has been argued, or discussed, by anyone who has
written on the historical evolution of the terms that were used to
refer to African-Americans (either by others or by themselves)?

One author who examines the history is Patrick Rael, in "Black
Identity & Black Protest in the Antebellum North (Chapel Hill:
University of North Carolina Press, 2002) and in his Introduction to
"African-American Activism before the Civil War: The Freedom Struggle
in the Antebellum North (New York: Routeledge, 2008).

Joel