Latest on "negro"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 28 00:21:02 UTC 2014

On Apr 27, 2014, at 8:06 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 4/27/2014 07:33 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>
>> An older black sportscaster on CNN (sorry I didn't get his name) mentions a
>> team owner "who used the word 'colored' to me. To me. So you can imagine
>> what he must have said when I wasn't there."
>
> We haven't yet been introduced in this message chain to the owner of
> the Los Angeles Clippers and his alleged words.
>
> Joel

The problem is that Donald Stirling didn't offend anyone by his selection of labels, just by the (rather outrageous) content of his remarks, assuming they were his remarks (he seems mostly to be saying they were taken out of context and don't represent his true feelings, whatever those might be).  I think Stirling used "black(s)" throughout in the excerpts I heard/saw.

LH