Fictional Materials for OED

Wed Apr 30 19:54:28 UTC 2014

Here is a cite for unobtainium in November 1957 in the same milieu.

Date: November 9, 1957
Newspaper: Greensboro Record
Newspaper Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Article: Top AF General Describes Metal
Quote Page: A7
Column 4
Database: GenealogyBank

[Begin excerpt]
DAYTON, Ohio, Nov. 9
A top Air Materiel Command officer at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base
has disclosed specifications of the ultimate material sought by the
Air Force.

He is Maj. Gen. William O. Senter, chief of procurement and
production, who describes it this way:

"It must be practically weightless, infinitely strong, ...

"We haven't found this material yet," General Senter says, "but we do
have a name for it. We call it "unobtainium."
[End excerpt]

OCR errors are probably present.
Garson