Book on Vietnam War Slang

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Tue Aug 5 01:06:03 UTC 2014

For those interested in war slang, here's the title of a recently published book: _Vietnam War Slang_, by slang researcher Tom Dalzell and published by Routledge.  I believe it's the most comprehensive compilation of  material on the topic thus far.

I'll cite just one item of interest (selected at random):
"HOWDY DOODY (nn.)  -- an unspecified chemical agent. US.
I've found out that those other men were drenched by a chemical spray
we called Howdy Doody -- because it made you stiffen up and jerk
like you were hanging on strings.--- [source of quote]: Robert R. McCammon,
Blue World, p. 81, 1991."

Gerald Cohen