'noose' = news

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 12 13:43:20 UTC 2014

What you might be hearing is a lack of lengthening in the vowel as we would
expect before a syllable-final lenis consonant.  Unless followed by a
voiced segment, the /z/ of news would devoice anyway.  Without the vowel
length, we would hear devoiced /z/ as [s].  I have a colleague who shortens
the vowel regularly in the suffix -ese, so that "Japanese" and "Chinese"
sound like they end in /-is/.

Herb