Computational Linguistics of Twitter

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 13 15:31:19 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Dan Goncharoff wrote:

> Computational Linguistics of Twitter Reveals the Existence of Global
> Superdialects
>
> The first study of dialects on Twitter reveals global patterns that have
> never been observed before.
>
> http://www.technologyreview.com/view/529836/computational-linguistics-of-twitter-reveals-the-existence-of-global-superdialects/

Aside from any problems with the study itself, the sub-headline here
is patently false -- in no way is this "the first study of dialects on
Twitter." Jacob Eisenstein and his colleagues have been mining Twitter
for U.S. dialectal patterns since 2010, presenting their findings at
the 2011 LSA meeting. And at the 2012 ADS meeting, we heard Brice Russ
present on his own research into "Twitalectology."

Relevant links:
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~jeisenst/papers/emnlp2010.pdf
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~jeisenst/papers/lsa.pdf
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/opinion/sunday/twitterology-a-new-science.html