an antedating "how to"? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Aug 18 18:40:56 UTC 2014

A Farewell to Anuses, indeed.

I've done a great deal of searching in Readex's America's Historical
Newspapers & Gale's 19th C American Newspapers, as well as Proquest's
historical files, and my impression is, that a search of these files will
turn up about 1/3 of what is there to be found.  I see a name, wonder "what
else has that guy done", and search for him; whatever comes up often does
not include the item that I started from.  This is an everyday
experience.

As regards this antedating assignment: the students should also avoid
looking to antedate an unusual sense of a common word, unless there is some
second word to throw in that will eliminate most appearances of the common
senses.

I pointed out off-list to Beth that the approach I suggested -- searching
for some phrase used as preamble to a word the writer thought new and
strange, for instance, "as they say in Brooklyn", may turn up a variety of
words to be checked in the OED; the opposite of starting with the OED and
picking a word to try to antedate.

GAT

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Mullins, Bill CIV (US) <
william.d.mullins18.civ at mail.mil> wrote:

> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> Good article!
>
> Some specific comments . .  .
>
> > you probably should NOT search for
>

> > * Extremely rare words. The more rare the word, the less likely you are
> > to find it used at all, much less to antedate the OED records.
>
> UNLESS you have access to a specialized database or corpora that may
> contain that rare word.  "Rare" is a relative term, and what's rare in
> common usage may not be so within a particular jargon.
>
> > * Extremely new entries.
> Same comment applies; a word that is new in general usage may be older
> (and antedateable) in a particular jargon.
>
> > To get an idea of the sorts of antedatings researchers have already
> > found, check the archives of the ADS-L listserv (search for
> > "antedating"):
> > http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?S1=ads-l
>
> You might also suggest Barry Popik's website:
> http://www.barrypopik.com/
>

> You don't specifically address the vagaries of OCR.  One of my ongoing
> projects is researching Houdini before he became a big star, ca. 1898 or
> so.  Probably half of the references I've found for him pre-1898 were not
> from searching for the string "Houdini", but for variants: Hondini,
> Houdlni, Houdinl, Houdmi, Hoadini, hloudini, etc., etc.  It's probably
> difficult for a beginning antedator to deal with the issue; the ability to
> successfully guess how OCR software and microfilm can screw up a word may
> be as much art as science.  But students should be aware of the issue, if
> only so that they know that a negative search result DOES NOT mean that the
> word didn't exist in the range searched.  Depending on the database, I'd
> guess that half or more citations are missed because the printed word is
> not accurately reflected in the digital text that is searched.
>
> This article:
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2014/may/01/scanner-ebook-arms-anus-optical-character-recognition
> would drive the point home in a memorable way.

George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
Univ. Pr., 1998..