Rogeting

Christopher Philippo toff at MAC.COM
Mon Aug 18 20:43:03 UTC 2014

At 8/18/2014 01:17 PM, Ben Zimmer wrote:
> “Roget-ing” is defined as "disguising plagiarism by substituting synonyms, one word at a time with no attempt to understand either the source or target text."

I’m not terribly surprised at the above development.  Some universities encourage gibberish, plagiarism, the falsification of citations, etc., even providing awards and/or promotions to faculty and administrators who engage in it or turn a blind eye to it.  Likewise, the U.S. Dep’t of Education doesn’t seem to care about plagiarism nor do accrediting agencies.

Chris Philippo