QOTD

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Aug 18 20:48:04 UTC 2014

At 8/18/2014 01:41 PM, W Brewer wrote:

>JB:  <<His name doesn't end in -son.>>
>WB:  Wonder if JB's daddy was Papa Ber ...

The tradition is that it was my paternal grandfather, with the
not-uncommon tale type that his Russian (not Icelandic) name (the one
allowed by the authorities of his region of emigration, beyond the
pale) was unpronounceable, according to the Ellis Island official of
around 1905.  My grandfather's father's given name was "Behr" (or
some other spelling in Latin letters, and I don't know whether it was
Russian, Yiddish, or Hebrew), and my grandfather became "Berson"
(pronounced now as "Brr-son", as in the shiver of cold).  I have seen
my grandfather's ship papers, from Hamburg of course, with a Russian
name that neither I nor my brother can read, let alone
pronounce.  (No translation of the name into German .. and even it
there was, it would probably have been in the equally-unreadable Fraktur.)

Joel

P.S.  What region do I belong to if I distinguish "bear", "beer",
"burr", and "brr"?