Fashionista coinage coverage in The Chronicle of Higher Education

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 21 14:43:32 UTC 2014

On Aug 21, 2014, at 4:57 AM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:

> The origin of the word "fashionista" was discussed on the ADS mailing
> list in May 2013. Now, Ben Yagoda has published a wonderfully
> entertaining piece on this topic:
>
> Title: Local Boy Makes Word?
> Author: Ben Yagoda
> Date: August 20, 2014
> Website: Lingua Franca blog of The Chronicle of Higher Education
>
> http://chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2014/08/20/local-boy-makes-word/

Nice; I'll watch for the network premiere of "The Big Lang. Theory".  Ben Y.'s (seems like we need to find a Ben X. to complete our set) observation about the creeping occurrences of "fashionisto", "baristo", etc. remind me of forms like "ad feminam" and "womano a womano", discussed in these parts a few years ago.

LH