I say "Lusitan-i-ay"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 21 21:00:18 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Herb Stahlke <hfwstahlke at gmail.com> wrote:

> Piqua, OH, is pronounced "Pickway."

The late Harvey Fuqua, who sang lead with The Moonglows on the well-known
R&B oldie, "Sincerely," pronounced his name as "Fewqway."

Somewhere, back in the '40's, I read a description of pig-Latin in which
"-a" was used in place of the "-ay" that I expected on the basis of having
heard it on the playground. Since this was the only written - hence,
canonical, of course - version of p-L that I'd ever seen, for years, I
thought that I was somehow mishearing the "-a" as "-ay."

Youneverknow.
--
-Wilson
-----