Precise Citation for Major Antedating of Euphemistic Sense of "Make Love"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Aug 23 03:03:37 UTC 2014

I can imagine a plausible reading here where the writer intended "try to seduce" (as in the earlier sense) rather than "have sex with".  A bit of a stretch, perhaps, but consistent with the older meaning ('To pay amorous attention to'):  Prompted by the goal of gratifying his animal desires, he made love to her and made love to her and finally broke down her resistance.

LH