not so green as...

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 25 17:20:58 UTC 2014

On one of the Inspector Lewis episodes in the BBC/PBS Masterpiece Mystery series, Lewis tells Det. Sgt. Hathaway (who has just acknowledging copying a key notebook before returning it), "You're not so green as you're cabbage looking".  A new one on me (I had to rewind to make sure that's what he said), but upon Google I've learned that it's "an old Yorkshire saying" that seems not to have made it across the pond.  I'm sure Michael Q. can trace its genealogy for us...

LH