double whammy

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Aug 30 14:04:39 UTC 2014

At 8/29/2014 10:39 PM, Herb Stahlke wrote:

>Could "friendly remind" be intended as a compound verb?

Works for me, but only with a hyphen.  Today I received an email
message titled "First Overdue Notice", and initially thought I was
being friendly-reminded -- the "Second Overdue Notice" would be less
courteous.  But no, aside from identifying the book, the text says
little more than "Failure to return or renew the materials may result
in fines." and "This item has been RECALLED.   Please return it immediately."

Perhaps this compound verb will have to be labelled "rare".

Joel