[Ads-l] foment

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Dec 1 16:12:24 UTC 2014

Well, OED foment, v. 4a is

'To promote the growth, development, effect, or spread of (something material or physical)'

and 4b is

'To cherish, cultivate, foster; to stimulate, encourage, instigate (a sentiment, belief, pursuit, course of conduct, etc.). esp. in a bad sense'

neither of which is marked as obsolete/archaic.  So the standard current ('esp. in a bad sense') use is a narrowing/pejoration, and Yahoo! News is just keeping the earlier broader practice of Milton, Pope, Swift, et al. alive.

LH

P.S.  Then there's the now archaic reflexive use, as in...
1680 T. Otway. Orphan.  To think Of woman were enough to taint my Brains, Till they foment to madness!