[Ads-l] "flux" = "to bleed" and OED2 -- sense absent?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Dec 6 15:55:28 UTC 2014

My impression is that "to flux" was used frequently, over several
centuries, with the meaning "to bleed" (as in "bleed, v.", sense 9,
"To draw or let blood from, esp. surgically.")  Is that sense absent,
or at least too obscure, in "flux, v." in OED2?

"flux, v." sense 1.a, trans., is defined as "To treat medically by
subjecting to a flux; esp. to salivate. Also, of food or drink: To
produce a flux in (a person); to purge. Obs."  If "salivate" is
called out, why not "bleed", which I suspect was more common?

There is a referral to "flux, n.", for which sense 1.a. does mention
blood: "An abnormally copious flowing of blood, excrement, etc. from
the bowels or other organs; a morbid or excessive discharge. spec. An
early name for dysentery ..."  But is bleeding well-described as a
"flowing ... from the bowels or other organs"?

It's possible, however, that I've been misreading 17th and 18th
century texts, and that the instances I've seen of "to flux" have
instead the meaning "to purge" -- as in sense 2.a, "trans. To
eliminate or expel (waste or harmful matter, etc.) from the body or
an organ" -- that is, particularly feces or urine (saliva would be
another "waste").

Joel