[Ads-l] When God plays the organ, even God comes to Mass

Sun Dec 7 15:43:48 UTC 2014

Benjamin: Thanks for sharing an interesting quotation. Here are two
matches in Google Books from a preliminary search restricted to GB.
The matches are for a different phrasing of the saying about Bach and
God. The first citation circa 1956 ascribed the statement to Amedee J.
Ozenfant. The sometimes reliable Wikipedia states that Ozenfant was "a
French cubist painter and writer" who died in 1966. Perhaps there is
an earlier instance in French, or perhaps Ozenfant should be credited.

Year: 1956
Book Title: American Painting Today
Author:  Nathaniel Pousette-Dart
Quote Page 62 (GB Page number)
Publisher: Hastings House, New York
Database: Google Books (snippet view; data may be inaccurate and
should be verified on paper; text and page number are visible in
snippet; a probe for "1956" shows that 1956 was the copyright date.)

[Begin extracted text]
When J. S. Bach plays the organ, God goes to the Mass. AMEDEE J. OZENFANT
[End extracted text]

The second citation circa 1972 expressed skepticism about the origin
of the saying, and asserted that it was crafted in a "modern mind".

Year: 1972
Book Title: Rhythms of Western Art