[Ads-l] safe

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 10 06:50:45 UTC 2014

Two meanings related to the word "safe" that are missing from the OED.

"Safe hit" is in the phrases, oddly enough, but baseball meaning of
"safe" (as in, "safe at home") is not.

Sexual use of "safe word" isn't in.

https://twitter.com/Athletics/status/492168846208274432

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/214695107208798158/
> The umpire says he's safe at first

http://goo.gl/GBX4Su
He's Safe at Third --- Terry Himself Says So

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safeword
> A safeword is a code word or series of code words that are sometimes
> used in BDSM for a submissive or bottom to unambiguously communicate
> their physical or emotional state to a dominant or top, typically when
> approaching, or crossing, a physical, emotional, or moral boundary.
> Some safewords are used to stop the scene outright, while others can
> communicate a willingness to continue, but at a reduced level of
> intensity.

http://goo.gl/gUUqS1
Colbert Reveals The 'Safe Word' He Uses While Being Spanked By Sean Hannity
> Stephen Colbert made a juicy revelation during his show on Thursday
> night: the safe word he uses while being spanked by Fox News host Sean
> Hannity.

http://www.salon.com/2012/01/29/real_abuse_in_bdsm/
  When safe words are ignored
> Beyond black-and-white cases of rape, there is a cultural disdain for
> safe words, they say.
> "I felt the pressure to not safeword because I felt like that made you
> a bad submissive." That's because she witnessed submissives who used
> their safe word being criticized as "difficult." At the "consent
> culture" event, Stryker asks the audience, "Is it the fault of the
> submissive who didn't safeword when they should have or is it the
> fault of the dominant who didn't notice that their submissive didn't
> safeword [when they should have] or is it the fault, as I think it is,
> of the community that makes it complicated?"
> Complicating things further, there are the times when a scene doesn't
> have a clear start, so a safe word is never negotiated (although there
> are universal safe words, like "red" or the exceedingly obvious "safe
> word" that any experienced dom should recognize).
> A bottom/sub MUST investigate who they are seeking to play with. They
> MUST insist that their safe words are honored.

Note that Salon article uses both "safe word" and "safeword", but the
latter as a verb. Others use both versions as nouns. Also note that
search for "safe word" in the OED leads to "safe ward".

     VS-)