[Ads-l] Antedating of "g'day" (1901)

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 11 21:02:33 UTC 2014

This is one of the words from the OED's December 2014 update.

The OED's first with this spelling is 1919.

Here's some from a story in a 1901 Australian newspaper:

[Begin]
"G'day, Missus," said he, with a jerk of his
head, and he shifted from one leg to the other,
and turned his hat over and over uneasily in his
great brown hands.
[End]

[Begin]
"G'day," said 'Lizer, with a bright smile that
revealed the prettiest of white teeth. The girl's
mouth was as fresh as a rose.
[End]

[Begin]
"G'day, Missus, hope you're keepin' well, an'
the Boss, an' the children. Got back sooner'n I
expected; Well, how's my mate shapin?" sáld he.
[End]

[Begin]
It ain't no one's fault but mine," he said,
generously. "G'day, Missus; I'm goin' ter find my
mate, alive-or dead;" and he galloped away.
[End]

"'Lizer o' th' Overshot.". (1901, December 14). Australian Town and Country
Journal (Sydney, NSW : 1870 - 1907), p. 28. Retrieved December 12, 2014,
from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article71475695

Hugo