[Ads-l] Higgly-piggly

Sat Dec 13 23:53:11 UTC 2014

W. Somerset Maugham once recounted an anecdote about Dorothy Parker.
During a party he asked her to compose a poem, and a waiter gave her a
pencil and paper.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/04/10/hen-gun-lariat/

[Begin excerpt]
 Dorothy Parker took it and wrote:

    Higgledy Piggledy, my white hen;
    She lays eggs for gentlemen.

    "Yes, I've always liked those lines," I said.
    She gave a thin, cool smile and without an instant's hesitation, added:

    You cannot persuade her with gun or lariat
    To come across for the proletariat.
[End excerpt]

The Maugham/Parker version of the starting couplet employed a white
hen. But a quick search in GB reveals a "black hen" poem in 1876 and a
different "white hen" poem in 1908.

A 2003 book contains a couplet with the form "higgly -- piggly":

[begin excerpt]
Higgly -- piggly -- my black hen
She lays eggs for the railroad men
[End excerpt]