[Ads-l] Doenjang - 1960/1970/1979

Sat Dec 27 02:11:47 UTC 2014

A Google video search on doenjang (no quotes) yields 43K hits. The word
is on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doenjang) but not
Wiktionary or the Oxford Dictionary site.

I find a possible 1970 hit and then two hits that seem to be 1979 in
Google Books. I also found an instance in a conversation textbook that
appears to be from 1960 with the spelling "denjang."

1. 1960
必須韓美會話
J. A. Sargeant, James B. Harris, 李時若
http://bit.ly/1xWABu7

-----
A: 된장이란 무엇입니까?
A: What's _denjang_?
-----

2. 1970
"아시아 여성 연구," Volume 9
淑明女子大學校亞細亞女性問題硏究所
http://bit.ly/1CZNt1E

The text is garbled, but "doenjang" comes through.

-----
Traditional arhcles of food Such as r,·teju, Doenjang, Kirnjangkirnchi
are obtained Self- Suffit·ientb· at house vk·hue traditional dresses,
Hanbok are purchased at - 7 1 -
-----

3. 1979
"Microbiology of food fermentations"
Carl Severin Pederson
http://bit.ly/1xWywhS

-----
A soybean paste is called Doenjang while the hot pepper paste is
referred to as Kochujang.
-----

4. Another 1979 candidate:

"KOSAB," Volumes 8-10
Korean Scientific & Technological Information Center
http://bit.ly/1rqfTkf

-----
1. Frequencies for the occurrence of aflatoxins in Meju, Doenjang and
peanut were 7.4% (4/54), 8.8% (11/125) and none (0/31), respectively, in
which Meju and Doenjang samples from Daegu and Busan showed the high
ratio of the presence.
2. A Doenjang sample from Busan was found to...
-----

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/home