by the each

Jeff Prucher jprucher at YAHOO.COM
Sat Feb 1 23:59:03 UTC 2014

I finally was able to get to DARE, which lists this as:

each, by the. adv phr
Individually, singly.
1969 DARE (QR p52) Inf IL97, Buy them [=individually wrapped candies] by the each.

So
 DARE only includes one citation, from the DARE questionnaire, by
informant IL97 (white female homemaker with college education from Arlington Heights, IL; born 1923,
interviewed in 1969). But I'm sold that it's a regionalism, or at least a non-standard Americanism. YMMV.

Jeff