Antedating of "Workaholic"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 3 19:43:09 UTC 2014

My interpretation is that the passage is meant to satirize Alcoholics
Anonymous, which was widely reported on in the late '40s.

Alcoholism was widely believed to represent a failure of willpower and an
indication of weak, even reprehensible, character. Many thought the idea of
untrustworthy alcoholics assembling to "cure" one another was ridiculous.
Hence the absurd puns of "Workaholics Synonymous" - for hard workers rather
than hard drinkers.

JL