childfree

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 3 20:07:26 UTC 2014

There's an interesting Gricean aspect to the Wiki quote.

Ordinarily one would expect some substantive comment under a heading like
"Personal Life." For example, Costello is married, but her husband goes
unnamed and is mentioned only briefly under "CNN."

The article appears to define her "personal life" solely on the basis of
whether she has children. One has to assume that her apparently
insignificant husband has no children either.

Again ordinarily, one tends to assume from a newspaper-style bio that if no
children are mentioned, the subject (or couple) has no children. In this
case, it is the absence of children that is highlighted.

Until recently, English was unable to express the idea, by one word, that a
person, by choice and preference, has no children. To say "Costello is
childless" would be literally true but because of the historical
associations  of "childless," it would also sound rude, condescending, or
pathetic. One would have to say - if one had to say anything - "Costello
has no children." Stated baldly, even that observation seems to carry a
negative charge.

In any case, absence of children might be a peculiar fact to select as the
*sole* relevant information in a under the rubric of "Personal Life."
Undoubtedly it is an artifact of the wiki format: simply plugged in without
regard to balance or context. But stated so bluntly in the biography of a
public figure, it sounds - intentionally or not - as a deliberate plug for
the "childfree" movement.

I mean, "sounds to old people."

JL