What Ray Charles *actually* said

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 4 18:39:37 UTC 2014

EBONY Magazine, Vol.34, No.9, July 1979, Page 140

Can White People Sing the Blues?

 by Hollie I. West

Ray Charles says they can't. "I have never heard a white singer who can
sing the blues effectively - the way, say, Aretha Franklin sings them. The
blues is mainly music about people's troubles. [...] If the blues ever gets
sung by a white person, it'll be a Jew that does it. They've known what
it's like to be somebody else's footstool."

--
-Wilson
-----