"Smile, Luigi!"

Jim Parish jparish at SIUE.EDU
Sun Feb 9 02:35:12 UTC 2014

"Smile, Luigi" was one of my late father's catch-phrases, used to get a
grumpy child (e.g., me) into a better mood. I have long wondered where
it might have come from; unfortunately, by the time I thought to *ask*,
his memory had frayed enough that he couldn't tell me. A large fraction
of Google hits on the phrase refer to Mario Brothers, but that's far too
late. Does anyone know its origin? My best guess would be a radio show
from the '30s or '40s, but it could be film or TV for all I know.

Jim Parish