Quote: I choose a lazy person to do a hard job (Attributed to Bill Gates) (Congressional Record Help Request)

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 12 03:35:11 UTC 2014

HeinOnline is not the only source for congressional hearings; ProQuest is by far the best source for them.  Google Books also has a lot of hearings, although I am not sure whether they cover this time period.  I searched HeinOnline and ProQuest and did not find this quote in hearings; I searched HeinOnline and did not find it in the Congressional Record.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Baker, John [JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:16 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Quote: I choose a lazy person to do a hard job (Attributed to              Bill Gates) (Congressional Record Help Request)

I don't have access to this, even though it would make my day job easier if I did.  But perhaps I can give some pointers.

It would be extraordinary if this remark were reprinted in the Congressional Record.  It was almost certainly given in a statement to or testimony before the committee then known as the Senate Committee on Labor and Public Welfare.  In light of the informal nature of the quotation, testimony seems more likely, probably in response to questioning rather than part of the prepared testimony.

Hearings are published in full text, so it should be entirely possible to track down the hearing in question.  It would have been a hearing from early in the 80th Congress, which convened on January 3, 1947; presumably it would be a hearing held on Friday, January 31, 1947.  The only online source for hearings from that period, as far as I know, is HeinOnline's U.S. Congressional Documents collection.  However, hearings are also stored by U.S. depository libraries, which should include any large university library.  Hearings from that period typically have been archived to fiche.

John Baker