Raleigh, N.C. -- awesome or aw-dropping?

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 17 04:01:34 UTC 2014

I grew up in NYC, and "dog" is unique for me: the only ‹-og› word with /ɔ/
(open o, aka turned c).

"lot" and "palm" have the same vowel for me apart from length, /ɑ/ (script
a). And the length... What the heck? I wrote "The length can be safely
ascribed to the coda: unvoiced stop vs. nasal", but then I sat back and
tried some others: "dom" (slang for the dominant member of a
dominant-submissive relationship), "ROM", "Tom", "calm". And though I'm
beginning to scant out on the distinction now, I do think the ‹-alC› words
do have a longer vowel for me.

Mark