Modern Proverb: Do not be so open-minded that your brains fall out

Mon Feb 17 22:25:26 UTC 2014

Follow-up: Here is an earlier 1937 instance of the metaphor though the
statement is not presented in proverbial form.

[ref] 1937 May, The Yale Law Journal, Volume 46, Number 7, On Legal
Scholarship by Max Radin, Start Page 1124, Quote Page 1133, Published
by The Yale Law Journal Company, Inc. (JSTOR) link [/ref]

http://www.jstor.org/stable/791732

[Begin excerpt]
Practical gentlemen hate uncertainty, balancing of probabilities,
skepticism or approximation. They have a number of bitterly satirical
comments on persons whose minds are so open that their brains fall
out. They are bent on getting to a conclusion.
[End excerpt]

Here is a match in Google Books that suggests the existence of an
instance circa 1939 of the modern proverb.

Periodical: The Smith Alumnae Quarterly
Volumes: 30-31
Year: 1938 and 1939
Quote Page: 153
(Unverified; Google Books snippet; metadata may be inaccurate. Probes
for 1939 indicate that the volume contains issues from 1939)

[Begin extracted text]
But don't keep your minds so open that your brains fall out! There are
still things in this world which are true and things which are false;
acts which are right and acts which are wrong, even if there are
statesmen who hide their designs under the cloak of high-sounding
phrases.
[End extracted text]

Garson