Make up your mind!

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Mon Feb 24 20:29:40 UTC 2014

This just struck me, but could it be that speakers who write 'could of' actually DO know that the syllabic /v/ is an allomorph of 'have' but are under the mistaken (but not as bizarre) belief that 'of' is the correct way to spell 've.

That would make more sense than the assumption that the contrast between an auxiliary and a preposition has neutralized.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.