Antedating of "Bollywood"

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sun Jan 5 17:07:41 UTC 2014

Fred's citation also antedates the Wikipedia claim of origin "in the 1970s." Unconfirmed appearances of Bollywood, in case anyone wishes to check, are, according to HathiTrust, in:

Lajwanti, and other stories. (published in Bombay, 1966). Anand, Mulk Raj, 1905-2004. pages 32 and 65.

Film and Society (NY, 1964). Richard Dyer MacCann. page 81.

Stephen Goranson
http://people.duke.edu/~goranson/
From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Shapiro, Fred [fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU]
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2014 9:48 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: [ADS-L] Antedating of "Bollywood"

Bollywood (OED 1976)

1969 _Times of India_ 12 Oct. 17 (ProQuest Historical Newspapers)  Sex in Bollywood ... The judge may not have expected the censors or the big-wigs, or the orthodox fathers and mothers of the middle-class society girls, to like his suggestion.  But I am reasonably sure that he never thought that the actresses of Bollywood would be so vociferous in their protests, against possible kissing and display of the body beautiful in Indian films.  Everyone knows that Bollywood actresses are not very different from Hollywood actresses.  To be sure, our local variety do not have as many divorces as those in Beverley [sic] Hills.  But, from the very nature of their profession, they have to expose their charms to a variety of male onlookers, because dressing room facilities in the Bombay and the Madras studios are not too plentiful and whatever there is in the way of privacy is semi-public.

Fred Shapiro